Saturday, October 28, 2006

Golden Gate view at sunset


Golden Gate view at sunset
Originally uploaded by rudisillart.

This painting started off as a an overly-ambitious figure study that I could not finish within the 3-hour session. when I was on the way to drawing one night, the fog was hanging over the bay and the sun was setting. I snapped few photos and was anxious to paint the scene so I decided to recyle the figure study. Having been a professional photographer, it is often hard for me to let a photo be just "inspiration" and not take it too literally. With this painting I listened to the paint, and not to the photo. One of the best pieces of advice I ever heard about painting is to remember that only God can make a tree - you can't make a tree with paint, so try to make the most interesting painting you can.

SOLD - private collection Oklahoma (18x24 oil painting)

2 Comments:

Blogger william wray said...

I like it's kind of like Whistler meets German Expressionism.

6:31 PM  
Blogger lost4words said...

Hiya.
Lost4words from Flickr here.
I'm glad I found your blog. It's so nice looking through your work and reading your descriptions of how you created the various pieces.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home